The fall season is spectacular in Half Moon Bay, and it’s a great time to enjoy fine wine with friends and family. As we count down to Thanksgiving, here is Barterra’s top ten for Fall 2011.
1. Pinot Noir! We love Barterra’s Russian River Pinot Noirs with fall dishes – our 2005 earthy Pinot pairs beautifully with mushrooms, root vegetables and pork or game. And our 2006 works equally well with hearty fish dishes — tuna right from our deep waters off the coast of Half Moon Bay. And just in time to celebrate the season, these world class Pinots from Sonoma’s top appellation are just $25 per bottle
2. Orange olive oil. Barterra’s infused olive oils are wonderful. We’re a big fan of the orange olive oil with a fall salad — golden beets or fennel. And we’ve just recently introduced our beautifully bottled olive oils in a smaller cruet size at $14 – fabulous hostess gifts!
3. Moonstruck Chocolates — Mint Tingles. Imagine the best chocolate malt balls you ever had with a hint of mint. And package this up in fall colors — brown and orange — and it’s another great hostess gift, if you don’t give in to temptation and open the package on the way to dinner.
4. Farro. You’ll never go back to rice after you’ve experienced farro — an heirloom grain from Italy. Served in salad or as a side dish (we love it with kale and pork), farro is versatile and delicious. Barterra carries a number of specialty items from Italy we like with our wines, and farro is our top pick.
5. White truffle oil – not far behind farro! Just recently, we tossed fresh popcorn with white truffle oil. What a pre-holiday treat! And this little snack paired beautifully with Barterra’s 2006 Carneros Blanc de Noir Sparkling wine and our Carneros 2008 and 2009 Chardonnays.
6. Glass pumpkins. While those of us in Half Moon Bay may have grown a bit weary of pumpkins following our annual Pumpkin Festival, the Half Moon Bay Art Glass Pumpkins are beautiful year-round. We carry a selection in many sizes and colors, ranging from whimsical to realistic.
7. Enjoying a glass of wine with friends in our Tuscan courtyard. The fall season brings out the warm sun in Half Moon Bay, and our guests enjoy our wines – by the bottle or glass — out in our courtyard.
8. Barterra new releases — hearty reds for the season! Our 2008 Syrah is already earning rave reviews from our guests and won’t last long as it’s available in very limited quantities. And our 2009 new release Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is sure to be another international award winner.
9. Holiday shopping early. What better way to kick off the holiday season than having gifts taken care of. These days, consumables have become much more appealing to the people on your gift list who have everything — our olive oils, chocolates, wines and gift certificates make great gifts. Or how about treating your special someone to the gift of a Barterra Wine Club membership – so he or she can enjoy our fine wines year-round?
10. Your company. There’s nothing we like better than enjoying the company of guests in our tasting room. We’ve met interesting people from all over the world — but even if you’re as close as San Mateo, Barterra Winery feels like a bit of Italy – and Mary and Bart Colucci will greet you like family – in the Old World style.